7/08/2008

Back to Sitting

We must have gotten some bad info or something because there are definitely not 20 fires on the Ely district. When we showed up a couple days ago they gave us a briefing then sent us up to helibase to stage. And we've been here since! Atleast they are giving us 12 hour days. I can keep myself busy so I really don't mind just sitting around, but I would like to get on another fire before we go home. It looks like we'll finish our 14 day assignment (we're on day 9) but I doubt we'll get extended to 21 days. They brought on a call-when-needed helicopter back home so they'll probably want us back.

Check out these neat pictures from the California wildfires

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Those pictures are pretty but ruin my mental image of you far away from actual flames. Looks much more dangerous than you make it sound. Why don't you come home and get a job at the library?
ps I am glad you aren't in California!

Jeremy Gottfried said...

Libraries are far from safe. Think of all those stacks of books just waiting to fall on you! Plus all the mold and mildew and who knows what all else! Not to mention death by boredom. No, I think I'll stick with fire. Closer is actually safer in a lot of situations because you can actually see the fire behavior and know what it is up to. However, I too am glad I'm not in California.

Unknown said...

hmph. I will try to believe you about the "safe" factor. I don't quite understand how you can use "safe" and fire" in the same sentence... as long as you are happy. And safe.